The Ueno Farm in the countryside of the eastern part of Asahikawa City is a garden of about 3.3 acres which has been made up of families making use of the culture of Hokkaido in creating an English style garden.
After opening in 2001, its reputation spread by word-of-mouth, and now it is one of Hokkaido’s leading tourist attractions. In April 2016 “Grand of the gnomes” and “Walking path of the gnomes” had a grand opening.
Enjoy the fairy tale at “Gnome’s garden!”
The Ueno Farm, located about 30 minutes by car from the center of Asahikawa, is one of the eight gardens representing Hokkaido located on the Hokkaido Garden Highway. It includes about 160 miles connecting the Daisetsu Kogen – Furano – Tokachi. Sayuki Ueno, who worked on the design of the main garden for the TV drama “Wind Garden” was primarily responsible for the creation of Ueno gardens. Ueno Farm itself appeared as one of the stages for the “Wind Garden” drama
Based on English garden. Ms. Ueno continues to make a garden that can only be represented by Hokkaido. Located in a lovely “Gnome’s Garden” that was completed in 3 years and comes complete with a tonari hat shed.
A story is also attached to “The garden of Gnome.” The fairies, and garden gnomes living in the garden sneak out at midnight and help with the garden work. It is a garden full of fairy tales spreading happiness.
The original “Mothers garden” lined with cobblestone remains!
In 1989, Mr. Ueno’s mother planted lupine and chamomile in the rice paddies and farm roads, and made it easy to plant flowers by making a single stone-covered path to have farmers come and have fun creating.
The “Mothers Garden” where cobblestone remains is still a “Mother’s Garden” where mothers continue to make gardens with care.
In addition, there is a small round pond near “Mothers Garden” where you can hear the tree’s voice.”
You can have happy encounters with animals too!
It takes about one and a half hours to go around the 10 zones such as “Mothers Garden” and “Nome’s Garden.” Along the “recommended course” in the pamphlets, you can also take a walk observing the flowers. The “white birch path” is comfortable and highly recommended.
You can go to the garden shop and cafe at the end of the walk. It is a pleasant path where you can encounter animals on the way. There are chickens that are full of energy! And if you ring, geese and ducks will come and visit!
The gardens are built with a farm image, such as their use of the original brick cow building. The garden shops and West entrance reception area are in a barn that was built in 1950, and later refurbished.
What once was a farmhouse is now a café where you can enjoy delicious seasonal vegetables for lunch!
You can enjoy foods, drinks and sweets at the “NAYA café” located in the renovated barn. Their “Farmer’s Curry of Seasonal Vegetables” is popular for lunch. It is a spicy keyma curry deliciously intertwined with the sweetness and taste of fried vegetables.
They also serve a refreshing “seasonal fruit tea” and soft-serve ice cream made with fresh cow milk purchased from a dairy farmer of Etanbetsu. They also sell his milk outside the West exit beside the café.
With its garden, food and animals, Ueno farm is rural everywhere. You will be healed by the flowering trees and the delicious vegetable dishes. It is a leisurely place that allows you to relax in the country.
- 3 buses run daily (dohoku bus 666) only during late April to mid-Octobers garden open period. Departing from the bus stop "1 jo 8 chome" at 9:25 a.m. and arriving at 10:06 a.m. at the Feel commercial facilities near Asahikawa station. Fare 600 yen.
- By JR, train the fare is 260 yen. You get on at Asahikawa station at 9:07 a.m. taking the train going to Kamikawa. At 9:34 a.m. get off at Sakuraoka station and walk 15 minutes. As you go to the road on the right, you will immediately see a small hill over the rice field. Since there are few buses and JR trains running, confirmation in advance is recommended.
- If the garden tour is the purpose of the trip, it is best to purchase a ticket. Common with the garden of the Daisetu forest for 1,300 yen. 4 stops on the Hokkaido Garden Road ticket is 2,200 yen.
On Saturdays and Sundays when the garden is open, girls from neighborhood farms gather at the West exit side. They bring seasonal Hokkaido vegetables from the field to sell.
- Spot name(Ja)
- 186 16 - chome Nagayama-cho Asahikawa-city Hokkaido
- Admission Fee / Adult 800 Yen (Free from Elementary School Children) Annual passport / 1,000 yen ※ Nayakafe available during garden closure
- Garden & Garden shop Late April - Mid October / 10 am - 5 pm
- Closed seven days ※ Closed in winter
- Parking lot
- HP : http://www.uenofarm.net