Visit the Tropical Dream Center (熱帯ドリームセンター) in Ocean Expo Park and be immersed in the exotic atmosphere as you are surrounded by subtropical and tropical plants.
This Okinawa hidden attraction is definitely recommended.
This unique tower shaped facility looks like the Tower of Babel.
If you are at Okinawa Churaumi Aquarium you will be able to see this nearby tower by the sea.
Inside you can view more than 2000 different orchids from around the world.
Even in the middle of winter there are more than 2000 orchids exhibited.
There are three greenhouses in this facility housing some of the most beautiful and exotic orchids in the world. Included are the familiar Okinawa moth orchid (Phalaenopsis), and the Banda variety that comes in such brilliant blues and a variety of other colors. They also have the Cattleya variety, which is known as the “Queen of the Orchids.”
Other than orchids, there are aquatic plants, and tropical fruit trees from tropical and subtropical regions of the world.
They are also connected with the Sea Expo Park’s stamp rally game so it is a very entertaining spot for the children as well.
There is a beautiful panoramic view from the 118-foot high Observatory!
The stained-glass image at the entrance is created in the image of the Sea of Okinawa.
There are 14 different areas to enjoy, including spacious gardens, and a tropical water lily pond.
The Dream Center creates a variety of natural expressions such as the sea, sky, wind, and Okinawa wilderness woven together with the plants.
One of the highlights is the 118-foot high Observatory. It provides views of nearby islands and a panoramic view of the East China Sea.
A unique architectural design!
Okinawa is located in the path of typhoons. Since this facility is located right by the sea it is susceptible to the fury of the storm several times a year.
To withstand the influence of the Typhoons, various measures have been taken in the construction of this facility.
For example, the walls are like those of ancient ruins. They were placed to prevent wind and salt nearly 30 years ago and have kept the plants from being damaged by the typhoons. They also emphasize the bright colors of flowers and green trees.
People who visit the facility say it is like visiting another world.
- If you have an Okinawa Churaumi Aquarium (沖縄美ら海水族館) ticket or you purchase an aquarium ticket at the same time, the admission for this facility will be half price.
- There are two ways around the facility. The standard course takes about an hour to complete. There is also a shortened course that only takes about 30 minutes. Please choose which is best for you.
- Parking is convenient! (Tropical Dream Center front parking lot P8).
There is a cafe here where you can enjoy an intimate space and tropical mood. It is very different then the exciting and lively Okinawa Churaumi Aquarium. So it is a wonderful opportunity to enjoy a calm healing time.
- Spot name(Ja)
- 424 Ishikawa Motobu-cho Kunigami-gun (within the Ocean Expo Park)
- General: adult (high school or more) 690 yen, Children (elementary and junior high school students) 350 yen
Groups (20 or more): Adult (more than high school student) 550 yen, Children (elementary and junior high school students) 210 yen
※ less than 6 years old are free.
- 8:30a.m. to 7:00p.m. (March to September)
8:30a.m. to 5:30p.m. (October to February)
* admission deadline is 30 minutes before closing time
- The first Wednesday and the following day in December
- Parking lot
- HP : http://oki-park.jp/kaiyohaku/inst/38